An opinionated feline in Edmonton, Canada who lived with a retired cat behaviourist, Greyce provided behavioral advice to cats in need until her death in July 2014. Because her entries are useful even today, the blog remains posted.

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Cat No Longer Sprays! Indy Checks In

 Hi Greyce,


Blissed Out on the Deck
As you can see from this stunning photo, I am a very happy guy these days! It's warm enough to go outside, though I still don't like it when anyone comes in my yard (cats, deer, squirrels - you name it). I brought a nice, fat robin - live - into the house for Herself. She didn't appreciate it; but what's a guy to do when Mothers' Day is so close at paw?

Humans! Will we EVER understand them?

I AM behaving myself in the house. I get my medication (Clomicalm) every day and I am so much happier. I do not spray indoors anymore. 

Okay, there was a brief relapse one week when the folks were out of town. I will only take the pill from Himself so my caregiver delivered my medication by transdermal gel rubbed on my ear, instead. It doesn't work as well as my pill.


Thank you for all your help. Themselves thank you, too, for training them how to meet my needs properly.

Yippee! It's Spring!

Best,
Indy

Dear Indy,

I'm thrilled to a purr about your good news. I, too, delight in bringing live prey into the house if I can. And somehow Themselves don't understand what a thoughtful cat I am.

I'm delighted that Clomicalm is working well for you - now that your folks understand how best to administer it. I know the gel form of this particularly drug is not reliable - meaning that "they - the powers that be" cannot figure out how to get a consistent dosage absorbed into the skin each and every time. Funny that, since "they" can do it with other medications; but - rats! - the one you are one is not one of them.

Given your attitude to other beings in your yard, you might be interested in my recent post (just yesterday) to Timmy about dealing with outdoor invaders (5/11/13).

As for training your folks, tell them to be on the lookout when I post a review of a book I adore - about stimulating play ideas. Now they may try to run and hide at the thought of yet more interactive play. But you can tell them to relax: it's all about ideas that keep you occupied and interested without them even having to be around!

Now if I could find the time between outdoor saunters, chowing down and napping to write the review, you could soon have it in your paws.

I'm proud of you, Indy!

And for inquiring cats who want to know, read more about Indy in the following entries:
Cat Sprays Walls and Furniture: What Can Be Done? (2/08/13)
Using Medication for Cat Urine Spraying (2/10/13)
Cleaning Items Recently Spraying with Cat Urine (2/11/13)
Play Therapy for Anxious, Spraying Cat (2/18/13)

Best,
Greyce